1. As we said, this is the first Catholic pope from Latin America. He was born in Buenos Aires in 1936.
2. He is 76 years old.
3. He is the first to take the name "Francis." The name symbolizes "poverty, humility, simplicity, and rebuilding the Catholic church," says CNN Vatican expert John Allen.
4. He lives simply. He reportedly cooks his own meals and gave up the chauffeured limo cardinals are entitled to. Instead, he takes a bus to work. He gave up a lavish cardinal's residence and lives in a small apartment.
5. In college Pope Francis studied chemistry. He worked as a professor, teaching philosophy, literature, and psychology.
6. He is known for his commitment to social justice.
7. On the other hand, he is also known as a doctrinal conservative who opposes same-sex marriage, abortion, and euthanasia.
Here's what the celebs are saying:
Mario Lopez: Big moment for the church & for those of us who call ourselves Catholics. I hope Pope Francis comes with an open heart & open mind... #Faith
Piers Morgan: Pope Francis 1 is known as a frugal, humble, moderniser. Sounds just what the Catholic Church needs.
Nicole "Snooki" Polizzi: Yay for Pope Bergoglio!! He's adorable.
Joy Behar: It’s already starting. Donald Trump wants to see the new Pope’s birth certificate.
Joan Rivers: The Vatican has gone Hollywood. Forget the white smoke-the new Pope will be announced by Ryan Seacrest on an E! Special.
Chris Harrison: When I told@SeanLowe09 & @CLMGiudici I'm ordained I never thought the Vatican would respond so fast #whitesmoke
Carson Daly: I like the new pope. Opted for silence before he first spoke. Pray for me before I pray for you. Humble. #goodstart
Aziz Ansari: Feeling good about my chances to be new Pope. My agents said I should hear something today...
Craig Ferguson: Rumors already swirling in Hollywood that the new Pope will replace Leno on NBC at 1130.
Eric Stonestreet: Did they just go to central casting to get the new pope?
Star Jones: I'm not Catholic...but am excited by the election of #NewPope. May he be blessed with wisdom & the love of Christ.
Mia Farrow: American Catholics praying for a liberal Pope who will lead reform. But that is unlikely.